Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shamrock V, Crew


The crew of "Shamrock V" bar two.
I discovered on the signatures photo a further name, one Harry Harman, I knew of a John Harman a Whitstable Native before emigrating to Sidney, Canada B.C. but is in touch with Whitstable via a mutual website "Simply Whitstable" administrated by Dave Taylor who kindly passed on my email address I asked if he knew a Harry Harman and he replied that he did and that it was in fact his cousin, so we now know the three crew who sailed to America and hailed from Whitstable in 1930 as Sidney "Smoker" Stroud his brother
"Skipper" Stroud, and Harry Harman now the record is straight. There is to be further delving into this interesting tale, I am to visit with Terry Pengelly in the spring as he has a diary that A.J.Pengelly kept relating to the voyage I have been given permission to publish this fascinating piece of social history.

No comments:

Post a Comment